Monday, April 5, 2010

BFG and DW - its acronym city

So I casually referenced the BFG in my last post and had a bunch of people leave me messages wondering, to quote 'what the hell' I was talking about.

I can't believe there are people who haven't seen the BFG, it is such a Disney classic I just assumed it was part of everyone's childhood. It's a great film and I highly recommend you go watch it, it was made back in the day when all the cartoons were still hand drawn, so it has a really magical quality to it. If you do want to see it, without me ruining the end stop reading here, I guess even though the film was made in 1989 I should add a spoiler warning.

So BFG stands for Big Friendly Giant, and is based on a book by Roald Dahl. Just like The Witches, Dahl's books are a little scary and don't shy away from talking about evil which isn't something you see see often in the children's book genre. The BFG starts with the friendly giant walking the streets of London piping good dreams into little children's bedrooms.  Unfortunatly one little girl called Sophie is watching him, and when he sees her, he grabs her out her bedroom and takes her with him back to the land of giants.

Frighteningly, the land of Giants is full of these evil monsters who want nothing more than to eat human children, Roald Dalh gave them great names like bloodbottler. The BFG is the only good giant and eats cucumber-like things as part of his vegitarian diet. These are called snozzcumbers - starting to see the logic of my last post are you now?

Anyway long story short, all the BFG wants to do catch good dreams for little children and bottle away bad dreams that cause nightmares. With the help of Sophie, and rather weirdly the Queen of England, they manage to recruit the RAF to come to the land of the giants, tie up the children eating monsters, and give the BFG a job in the palace.

It's bizarrely sweet, magical and a little scary and I would highly recommend it. I'm actually tempted to go watch it again right now....but I can't.

Why? You ask - Because the brand spanking new, been waiting for it for weeks, Doctor Who is on the tele-box. I am going to watch it and I will let you know how it goes.

Wow, it was really good, really really good. It's always so weird when they change the doctor. David Tenant was so brilliant in the role, I was convinced I wouldn't be able to accept the change to Matt Smith. But he's great, he's really funny, and makes you honestly believe that this is the same man, with a different face. Yet different, that's whats amazing, he manages to maintain being the doctor while bringing a whole new, very comedic attitude to the role. I really like him.
I like Karren Gillan too, she plays Amy Pond. I always get a small amount of companion envy, I can't seem to help it, it seems like it would be such a fun character to play, but she's really pretty and really sassy and I think the two of them are going to be a great comedy duo. Plus there is a new Tardis and my inner nerd thought that was pretty cool.

Ok enough, I realize there are only a select group of people out there who share my enthusiasm for Doctor Who, although 8 million people tuned in to see the episode so maybe I just need to spread my net further. 

For those of you who do care, I have three words for you...Green Sonic Screwdriver

Hells yeah

Meryl xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment