Monday, March 29, 2010

Light vs Dark

Firstly, my deepest sympathy goes out to friends and family of the 38 + people who were killed this morning in Moscow. It just goes to show how important it is to promote love instead of hate, because there is no reason these innocent people should have died for a cause they had nothing to do with.

Suicide bombing is a phenomenon I will never fully understand. How is it possible that people seek a better future, by taking away someone else's? There is no light without dark, but today we are reminded how important it is to fight for light whenever possible.

It is difficult to start this blog on such a sad note and turn it into something that won't propagate the Monday morning blues. But I'm going to give it a shot.

As you know, I love the little adverts that pop up next to my posts mostly because they are in someway related to what I have written. Because of my squirrel post, one of the adverts last week read 'Keep Squirrells Off' and stated it had  'Effective products [to] keep out pesky squirrels'. I personally haven't had enough trouble with squirrels to buy effective products, but I wonder if there is someone somewhere being besieged by rodents, thinking finally a product designed for my specific needs.

Another advert that popped up was one that said 'you have lost the game'. I've seen these all over the internet, and they irritate me because I know what they are talking about. I think everyone is 'playing the game' now, and I think everyone probably remembers the first time they heard about it too. I've started to think of the times before I entered the game as a golden age, where I wasn't worried about winning or loosing anything, certainly not trapped inside a game that will never end.

My first foray into 'the game' was in Devon, England while visiting a couple of family friends, and to be fair there is nothing but cows and grass to distract from ones humdrum existence there, so I can imagine the game was an interesting way to wile away ones life. But I live in the city, and I realize now that there is no way to escape from the game, until I die...the ultimate game over.

Ok so deep down I'm not actually worried about being trapped in the game, but it does make me think about certain pieces of information that you can never un-know once you know them. Charity is a good example of that. When you learn about people who are living in dire situations, who need your help to survive, you can put it out of you mind but it never gets unlearned. They say ignorance is bliss, and I can see why. Nevertheless, social consciousness is an important part of moving forward and creating a better future, a perfect example being Obama's recent health care reform bill being passed 219 to 212 in the US. It just goes to show that when people want change they make it happen, maybe ignorance isn't bliss, maybe taking action is.

So to sum up this rather patchwork style blog entry, the world can be a scary place. But as long as there are more people in it doing good than bad, progress will happen. Oh and of course stay away from birds they are like evil squirrels with wings. Hey maybe I should invest in some effective products to keep out pesky winged squirells, it could come in handy if they decide to attack.

Peace and Love
Meryl x

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, lots of good points to ponder.....YM xoxo

    ReplyDelete